Friday, October 30, 2015

#4- Bacon Causes Cancer....but NBD

The story correlating red meat and cancer relates to me because I eat a lot of processed meat because it’s faster to make and cheaper than organic meat. Since I live in the low income area of Washington DC, it is difficult for me to get unprocessed foods because those are the only things that are offered to me and the people of my community. It’s scary to think that the only food offered to me can increase my chances of getting a terminal, incurable disease. This impacts the world because there are many impoverished countries that don’t have access to healthy food. This is very frightening because so many people eat red meats because they enjoy the way they taste. I know for a fact that I love the way steak and other red meats tastes. But, according to International Agency for Research on Cancer, they believe that if humans continue to eat vast amounts of red meats then there are more likely chances for us to get certain types of cancer. This is very misleading because when I saw the article, I immediately believed that if I continued to eat those meats I would get cancer. This is not entirely true; I just can’t eat immense quantities of the meat. The article Ham, Sausages Cause Cancer; Red Meat Probably Does, Too, WHO Group Says immediately encourages readers to automatically believe that the foods they loved will give them cancer. The article says, “Processed meat, such as bacon or hot dogs, causes cancer, a World Health Organization group said in a long-awaited determination on Monday.” Although the claims involving the correlation between processed meat and cancer are sufficient, the claim still catches the reader's eye because the word cancer draws them in and makes them believe that these foods will eventually kill them. This miscommunication can be avoided if the press would release the actual report instead of allowing the bias press to misconstrue the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment